12 December 2010

Aha! Rational Humanism is to blame!

I just watched a TED video that is definitely worth 20 minutes of your precious time, particularly if you are someone with a creative bent.

I'll admit. I had not been drinking the TED KoolAid until this week, but now it's coming up everywhere. I most recently saw their efforts poked fun of in a rather lame webseries which does not deserve my precious link.

This video features Elizabeth Gilbert (she of Eat, Pray, Love fame) with an engaging and articulate pontification on why there is so much fear surrounding creative career motivations.

In case I have not adequately dangled the carrot that enticed you to watch said video, may I offer that Ms. Gilbert succinctly explains:
  • Why I cried when Dobby the House Elf died in Harry Potter.
  • The "bizarre collaboration" between the work-mule artist and an externalized creative spirit.
  • A nice anecdote about Tom Waits being interrupted by inspiration while driving down the freeway. 


Enjoy!

No comments: