19 February 2009

Oh, the Germanity!


My recent switch to digital television means that I no longer receive Saturday morning cartoons en espanol. I am pretty sure I can watch Spanish evangelists on one of my 9 religious channels, but somehow I feel as if this gringa could learn a broader vocabulary watching Las Aventuras de Piggly Wiggly.

I decided to fill the void with Spanish language tapes. So, on today's trip to the library I decided to put my latest obsession (cookbooks) to rest. It was beginning to get expensive considering all of the ingredients and kitchen gadgets this hobby caused me to purchase.

I looked through the aisles and I could not find a series that was at my level. Most of the books on the shelf were catering to the Introduction to/Traveler set. So, do I look at the Library catalog and attempt to find what I'm looking for? Maybe put something on hold that is more suited for my purpose?

Of course not. I decide to learn German. I pick out the Teach Yourself: Beginner's German and promptly play the accompanying CD in the car while I finish my errands. German has long been one of those languages that I know in bits and pieces-- mostly from music or from my sister (who is fluent in the language and would use her language skills to torment me). I saw the tape and thought, "Why not?"

It struck a chord of amusement to know that one of the very first phrases the series teaches (on page 5 of the book) is, "Ich habe Kopfschmerzen." Meaning, "I have a headache."

Is this a sign of things to come?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the sort of hombre who enjoys to try innovative things. Currently I'm manufacturing my hold solar panels. I'm managing it all by myself without the help of my men. I'm utilizing the internet as the only path to acheive that. I encountered a truly awesome site which explains how to make solar panels and so on. The website explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I'm not exactly sure about how precise the info given there iz. If some people over here who had xp with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the site it will be great and I'd highly value it, cause I truly lav solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. U people are great.

Anonymous said...

crowcrastination.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Amit said...

Hey there,
You dont know me and I dont know you, but the introductory line you have on your profile somehow struck a chord with me. I too somehow feel the same as you feel about yourself right now. Somehow we seem to have lost ourselves as we grew and the ambitions got lost in the world of adults. Let me know what you think happened!?? You can email me at leeamit@gmail.com