15 August 2008

Dramatis Personae Non Gratae

This post is part #5 in a series of 10 rants about my ex-books. Parts #1 and #2 will help to set the scene. Parts #3 and #4 contain relevant squawking.

This section of The Ex-Libris List reads like a syllabus for the average undergraduate theatre history course. Probably because I acquired most of these texts because they were course requisites in a class I took somewhere or another. In any case, it makes me feel like I should hurry up and get a Ph.D. Then I could (maybe) get a job teaching these classes. So I can have nice things. Like health insurance.

All you theater folks, please note: Prior to assembling this list, I checked to make sure I didn't have a copy hidden somewhere. I rummaged through the stack of plays stashed on the top shelf of my closet. I have a feeling you know the type-- Xeroxed, binder clipped and coffee stained.

For visual interest, I am offering a photo from a production during my undergraduate days. The production was of a monstrosity not worth mentioning. I dare you to play Spot the Crow.


The List, Part V
The Oresteia by Aeschylus

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee

Lear by Edward Bond

Four Plays by Anton Chekhov

Plays 2 by Caryl Churchill

Copenhagen
by Michael Frayn

The Complete Plays by Sarah Kane

The Beauty Queen of Leenane by Martin McDonagh

Mourning Becomes Electra by Eugene O'Neill

Betrayal by Harold Pinter

A Woman Alone and Other Plays by Franca Rame and Dario Fo

Machinal by Sophie Treadwell

How I Learned to Drive by Paula Vogel

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde


And just like that we're halfway through!

2 comments:

cadillac margarita said...

virgina woolfe is one on my all time favorites! Saw it in Ashland a few years ago and was blown away...

this is a great series of posts, btw. i would do one with my movies, but i am obsessive about them, and rarely lend them out. if i do, and it has been more than 2 weeks , i hunt them down, and banish the culprit to a "no rental" penalty for at least 6 months...or as long as it takes me to forget that they keep my shit for more than 2 weeks.

as for spot the crow, i say you are the one in the queen of hearts getup, standing with the preggo alien in middle.

k. crow said...

Good idea but sometimes takes longer than 2 weeks to get through a book...

You get your birdwatching badge for successfully spotting the Crow.